ST. LOUIS CHURCH 68633 C Street, Cathedral City, CA Telephone: 760-328-2398 Fax: 760-770-4598
SERVING THE CITIES OF: CATHEDRAL CITY, RANCHO MIRAGE & THOUSAND PALMS
Fr. Michael N. Maher, ss.cc. Pastor
In February 1948 St. Louis Church was formed by our founding Pastor, Rev. Joseph Leissler. At that time, Mass was celebrated in different homes by Fr. Leissler because there was no church building to call home. On May 23, 1948 the first church building was obtained. An old military hospital ward measuring 150’x30’ which was divided into three sections. One section became the church, 2nd section was the parish hall and the third section became the Rectory (priest residence). On February 10, 1949, Bishop Charles T. Buddy of the Diocese of San Diego, dedicated and blessed the newly established St. Louis Church.
In April 1973 groundbreaking ceremonies for the “new” St. Louis Church and Rectory were conducted by Bishop Leo T. Maher of the Diocese of San Diego. Construction began in May of the same year. On March 3, 1974 the newly completed St. Louis Church was dedicated and blessed by Bishop Maher.
The Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary (ss.cc.) have staffed St. Louis Church since 1981. Previous ss.cc. priests include: Fr. Patrick Crowley, Fr. Ed Casey, Fr. Paul Murtagh, Fr. Gary Peters, Fr. Pat O’Hagan, Fr. Michael Brooks and our current Pastor, Fr. Michael Maher.
MISSION STATEMENT Saint Louis Church is united through diversity,love, the world of God and the Eucharist. We welcome everyone to worship with us and to be part of our faith community.
The Diocese of San Bernardino works in partnership with 94 parishes in Riverside and San Bernardino counties of California to provide for the spiritual welfare of more than 1.2 million Roman Catholic faithful.
We work always to bring the Good News of Jesus Christ to all persons and all places in this vast and diverse diocese